Thanks to Camilla from the Save The Dyke Group, we have a timeline of the early days of The Dyke (or as it was originally, The Windmill Inn). Also see our blog post on The Windmill Inn.
1861: James Trusler (and family), owner of Preston Mill (otherwise known as Streeter’s Mill or the Black Mill), resides in one of two mill cottages (‘adjacent’ to two occupied Mill Barns) as a Miller
1864: 1st application for a license. License application refers to the Windmill Inn Beer Shop. Application denied.
1865: 2nd application for a license. Applications refers to the site as having two distinct entrances, an extensive frontage of 54 feet with bar and bar parlour. The house stood in a very isolated position with there being no shelter within 4 or 5 miles one way and it was fully half a mile from the town. Applicant (James Trusler) referred to as a man of respectable standing, inasmuch as he had filled the offices of Overseer and Assessor. Also says that the parish of Preston only had 4 or 5 houses. Application denied.
1866: (April) Inquest at the Windmill Inn – Singular and Sudden Death at Preston
1866: 3rd application for license. As written in the Brighton Gazette “Mr. Sharp in support of the application, pointing out at length the necessity of a license being granted, because accidents occasionally occurred on the Dyke Road, and when persons were brought in they had no means of supplying them with those kinds of restoratives which might tend to their recovery. Mr. Trusler had been actually obliged to give away spirits. (A laugh)”. Application denied.
1866: James Trusler buys Port Hall Mill
1868: (March) Inquest at the Windmill Inn – Determined Suicide Through Disappointed Love
1870: Pig Auction at the Windmill Inn, July 1st at 2 o’clock
1871: James Trusler (and family) resides in the Windmill Inn as a Bar Retailer
1874: James Trusler sells the Port Hall Mill to Charles Cutress
1879: Death of William Trusler of Abbeyland Farm Shermanbury, father of William Trusler the Inn-keeper of the Windmill Inn.
1881: James Trusler (and family) resides in the Windmill Inn as a Retired Inn-Keeper
1881: William Trusler (and family) resides in the Windmill Inn as a Publican (the Windmill Inn is likely to have been two buildings)
1882: James Trusler sells Preston Mill (or Trusler’s Mill as it became known) to Joseph Harris
1887: Port Hall Mill demolished
1888: Death of James Trusler
1890: Trusler’s Mill demolished
1891: William Trusler (and family) resides in the Windmill Inn as a Publican. The other entry on the 1891 census for the Windmill Inn has James Miller (and family) residing at the Windmill Inn as a Wine Worker and his son as a Shopman
1892: Windmill Inn put up for auction Monday December 12th. “Free Fully Licensed Freehold Premise with extensive plot of land at rear, the whole occupying an area of one acre. The property is situate on the main road leading from Brighton to the well known Devils Dyke and is admirably placed for doing a very extensive trade, more particularly as it enjoys a monopoly there being no other licensed house within a considerable radius”. Fully licensed? See below.
1892: Tamplins Brewery buy the Windmill Inn
1893: (August) Brewster Session (with representation from ladies from Brighton and Hove’s Women’s Temperance Society to diminish the number of licensed houses in the town!) provisional license granted for the house which is to be rebuilt in place of the Windmill Inn.
1893: (October) Plans drawn by architect Charles Buckman for the Windmill Hotel
1895: Dyke Road Hotel build complete
1901: William Trusler resides at the Dyke Road Hotel as a Licensed Victualler
1901: Henry Stanwix resides at 121 Kings Road as a Chemists Assistant
1905: Death of William Trusler, eldest son of the late William Trusler
1905: Henry Stanwix (and family) take over the running of the Dyke Road Hotel
1906: Birth notification of the wife of Henry Stanwix, a son.
1911: Henry Stanwix (and family) resides at the Dyke Road Hotel as a Hotel Keeper